Thursday, April 2, 2009

Some reasons for choosing Google over other web blog options....

The original chromed pork website was flat html, css, and an rss feed. And while this is a very clean implementation it is also limited in scope and can be clunky to update regularly.

Because the hosting location is about to change anyway, I thought it might be a good idea to be a little more forward looking. The goal became to simplify and reduce administrative overhead and essentially to make site updates almost effortless.

I looked at a lot of blog packages available but became slightly concerned with security. In fact a Google search for “security” and a potential web blog package is pretty damn revealing.

Lately about 60+ hours of my week has been going to work and related activity's, holding to this kind of schedule doesn't leave me much time to be mucking around. Updating some secondary product when that time could be spent editing a show or writing a blog post seems counter intuitive. Not wanting to introduce vast attack surface to Chromed Pork controlled servers; I began to look at web blog options.

Google was chosen because I believe they have a reputation to protect, which means they won't let a known vulnerability go un-patched as long as say an over worked and apathetic blog maintainer like myself.

You can call it laziness but I don't see anything wrong with this assessment of my available resources. It may not have the do-it yourself spirit as most of the things I do but then again I just freed up some precious time without scrimping on quality like I was pre-change.

--Multi-Mode

PS: Atum, I don't care how much you sing the heavenly praises of wordpress, I've simply seen way to many of them get owned. If you want a user account why not just ask? Why you always gotta try to SE me like that bra?